Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Truffles You Can Make Without a Pig

Cooking Adventure: Chocolate Oreo Truffles
Source: All Recipes
The Bellydance Soundtrack: Istanbul by REG Project
Prep Time:10-15min.
Freezing Time: 4-6hrs.

Oddly enough, I'm typing this at home right now in faux lunch break. There was no school today because over 65% of the teachers in the Madison school district called in sick in protest. If you're a Wisconsinite, know a Wisconsinite, or are just really good with politics, then you know it's all due to our wonderful new governor, Scott Walker. Normally, I'm not one to get into political squabbles. I'm that annoying one who sits along the sidelines and waits for things to pan out before yelling, "Hooray! It's in the past now! Whatever opinion I have can be viewed as one based on history!" However, when your governor up and declares that he's going to just get rid of collective bargaining rights for public workers' unions and that there's nothing they can do or say because he's passing the bill in a few days whether they like it or not so hah, then I get a little ornery.

In addition, today was supposed to be Literacy Day at the school. I wait all year for Literacy Day. It's the one time when kids get to wear their pj's to class, sit around on pillows and read all day. And the best part is that the staff gets to read selections of whatever book they want to the kids. I was all ready and excited to read a bit of Bill Bryson's, I'm a Stranger Here Myself, but was shocked to hear my NPR alarm telling me Madison schools were cancelled. I kid you not, the first thing I yelled this morning was, "No! I HAVE to go to work today! It's Literacy Day!" My husband suspected I was a weirdo before, but now it's officially confirmed.

This brings us back to me typing at the computer giving myself a lunch break and being glad that I will have more time to make truffles today before dance practice. The photo above is a bit misleading, as those were the truffles I bought up in Door County. Size-wise, though, the Oreo ones will turn out about the same, are cheap, really fun and easy to make, and are great for little kids to help out with (My niece helped make these when  she was 2 by sprinkling/throwing in handfuls the Oreo crumbs on top.).

Magickal Bit (involving cheese!): The Greeks seemed to have the idea of the importance of every voice being represented down. Aristaeus was a minor Greek god of bee keeping and cheese making. He was worshipped by farmers who appealed to him for his practical knowledge. Hmm... maybe I should ask him to help me find a good muffler shop this week... :)
 
Ingredients
- 1 (16 ounce) package OREO Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) package PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
- 2 (8 ounce) packages BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate, melted

Directions
1. Crush 9 of the cookies to fine crumbs in food processor; reserve for later use. (Cookies can also be finely crushed in a resealable plastic bag using a rolling pin.) Crush remaining 36 cookies to fine crumbs; place in medium bowl. Add cream cheese; mix until well blended. Roll cookie mixture into 42 balls, about 1-inch in diameter. Put them in the freezer and let sit for 4-6 hours or until frozen.
 2. Dip balls in chocolate; place on wax paper-covered baking sheet. (Any leftover chocolate can be stored at room temperature for another use.) Sprinkle with reserved cookie crumbs. 
 3. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. Store leftover truffles, covered, in refrigerator.(I've found that they have to sit a little longer than 1hour. I'd give them about 2-3 hours so they don't melt upon touching them.)

4 comments:

Heathen said...

Mmmm, I love truffles!

Sorry to hear about your current labor union politics. That's one of the crappiest things I've heard in a while! But, you know politicians.

Mrs BC said...

These look amazing, can't wait to try them. I like the 'leftover chocolate for another use' (!!)
I don't know who the Greek God of mufflers is, but Hephaestus was the Blacksmith to the Gods, & he was worshipped in industrial centres..

Foxy said...

I made these exact same ones a few weeks ago! Divine!

Judy said...

would you please send me your next batch of these???