Monday, August 16, 2010

Bringing Out the Stash

Cooking Adventure: Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Glaze
Source: Heather Bullard
The Bellydance Soundtrack: Baghdad by Jesse Cook
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 13-15 minutes

Part one of the part time cooking was actually supposed to be this recipe. I went with the candied citrus peel after I called the grocery store asking if they had canned pumpkin & was told that there was a national shortage. "What?" I said. "Yeah right, I'm going to look that up." And sure enough, believe it or not, the U.S. is currently experiencing a shortage of canned pumpkin (You can read the Washington Post article here). Turns out the main source for pumpkins is Illinois. They've had so much rain this summer that it was just too much for the fields. I admit it made me realize just how separated we can get from the sources and processes behind what we eat.

Lucky for me though, my husband baked several trays of pumpkin seeds last October and had stored the pulp in the freezer. And also lucky for me, I didn't chuck it the day I wondered aloud when we were ever going to use that frozen pumpkin.

And so, if you're fortunate enough to have your own stash, I highly recommend these cookies. They have a very nice doughy bread consistency that will definitely have you blogging about how you're blogging to keep from eating the whole batch.

For Next Time: I forgot to add the cinnamon to the glaze, but it still tastes great! And the fact that I got my pumpkin amidst the shortage makes it sweeter.

No comments: