Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Haaauuuut.....

Cooking Adventure: Spicy Mango Soup
Source: Um... the Internet? I don't remember!
The Bellydance Soundtrack: Kindergarten (Rube Remix) by Unkle Ho
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 20-25 min
In celebration of the ungodly heat around here, of the awesomeness of my immersion blender, and the excellent fit of my new bra stash, I whipped up some mango soup a few nights ago. And in addition to my undergarment shopping experience, it was all mine. This soup calls for a habaƱero pepper. I made the mistake of adding a half of one the first time I made this and it was to the point of inedible except for those native Texans who have lead-lined stomachs. This time around I was very satisfied with a 1/3 of a pepper, but my husband still can't take the heat. Pity. :)

On a complete segway, I'd like to give a shout out to all the lovely ladies who provided me with even more euphemisms for my knockers and their carriers. There should seriously be a contest for coming up with these. You guys rock!

"Boobie Baskets" - Danni from The Whimsical Cottage
"Mammer Jammers" - Dark Mother from Dark Mother Goddess
"My Wee Girls" - Dreaming of Jeanie from Lost in the Trailer Park
"Funbags" - Lilith Noor from Crumbs in the Costume Closet

Ingredients
 - 1/3 cup creamed coconut
 - 2 med. white onions
 - 3 Tbsp. butter
 - 1 Tbsp. olive oil
 - 2 ripe mangoes peeled and chopped
 - 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
 - 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
 - 1 tsp. tamarind paste (If you can't find this, I just use Sriracha sauce or chili paste. Either work just as well.)
 - 1/3 habaƱero pepper (a whole one for native Texans)

Directions 
1. Saute the onions and butter in oil until translucent in a medium saucepan.
2. Add the copped mango and cook for a few minutes until soft
3. Add the chicken stock, pepper & chili paste/Sriracha.
4. Stir, simmer and cover for 15min.
5. Remove from heat. Let cool if you are blending this in a blender. If you have an immersion blender go ahead and have at it! (Although make sure the blender is actually immersed. I didn't and got a bit of piping hot soup splatter.)
6. Blend until smooth.
7. Return the mixture to the saucepan and stir in the creamed coconut.
8. Serve & enjoy! You can use Sriracha and/or sour cream for a bit of extra taste.
**My cooking friend and I were curious what this would taste like with carrots or sweet potato added. Should anyone be feeling bold and willing to try this, let me know what it tastes like!

No comments: