Thursday, December 30, 2010

Here There Be Amigurumi Monsters

Step 1: Find cute monster photo b/c I can't draw.
Well, almost. This is my first attempt at crocheting something sans pattern, and I would like to take this moment to get on my knees and bow down to the those crochet artists who actually make their own patterns. The process is one that makes me want to rip my hair out - and then crochet with it - in a vain attempt to turn a 2D picture into a 3D object. 
Step 2: Wish I had amigurumi design software... or modeling clay.
As I sit hear pondering whether an all around decrease would create the exact butt shape I want, I also wonder if I could start adding some knot magick into my crocheting... Maybe I should just remember to take this one step  at a time. But the next frickin' easy hackey sack I make is going to be a magickal hackey sack for sure! ...One that promotes concentration and patience. :)
Step 3: Craft something vaguely monsteresque. This could also be a very unfortunate duck.
If you'd like to see some truly fantabulous crocheting, I suggest checking out Amigurumi Artist. The patterns are free and are available for anyone who wants to take a swing at them. I take one look at those and think that making a tiny monster sounds pretty simple right now.

5 comments:

Heathen said...

A very impressive undertaking! I think you can do it. Look, you've already got the head done! ;-)

So glad you had a lovely Christmas. Please remember, you don't have to give up one for the other. You can celebrate both Yule and Christmas...lots of us do it!

Kate said...

Awww, I think it looks cool! I'm impressed that you're making your own pattern; I'd be totally lost.

Are you on Ravelry?

brandi said...

~oh my goodness...i think after seeing such creations i will just stick with my straight lines...hehehe...amazing the minds of some and yours here...once more ever so sweet!!! cheers to the new yer ahead...may it be filled with only blessings upon you in your days that come forth...much love light and blessings be with you always~

SpiritWings said...

That is amazing! I am with faerwillow on this one. I got my hands full just keeping count of my chains and keeping the line straight!!
It looks great so far!! I can't wait to see the rest of him when you get it completed! =]

Tea Witch said...

I knew there was a reason I leave this stuff for other people. The monster is uber-cute so far :)

Can't wait to see the finished product.